REAL FOOD FOR HEALTH AND WEIGHT LOSS
"Let [real] food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.”
Hippocrates, born 460 BCE, in Greece
Considered the father of medicine.
The purpose of this website is to analyze scientific findings to show how real food, together with exercise and yoga, helps us lose weight and be healthy and happy.
Whole, Unprocessed Plant And Animal Foods ("Real Food") Are Full Of Vitamins And Minerals That Are Great For Your Health.
1. They’re Packed With Protein, Which Is The Most Important Nutrient For Weight Loss.
2. Real Foods Don’t Contain Refined Sugars.
3. They’re Higher In Soluble Fiber, Which Provides Many Health Benefits, Including Weight Loss.
4. Real Plant Foods Contain Polyphenols, Which Have Antioxidant Properties That Help Protect Against Disease And May Also Help You Lose Weight.
5. Real Foods Don’t Contain Artificial Trans Fats, Which Are Bad For Your Health And Waistline.
6. They Help You Eat More Slowly, Which Gives Your Brain More Time To Process Your Food Intake And Recognize When It’s Full.
7. They May Reduce Sugar Cravings.
They’ll Reduce Your Consumption Of Highly Processed Foods.
9. They Shift Your Focus To Permanently Making Food Choices That Are Better For Your Waistline And Your Health.
10.Real Foods Are More Nutritious, Contain Fewer Calories And Are More Filling Than Most Processed Foods.
Losing Body Fat
People talk about losing weight, but the important thing is to burn up body fat. This happens when we reduce consumption of simple carbohydrates, so the body has to get its fuel from the fat in the body.
Here are some different approaches we'll be critically analysing, with the url:
- Eat Fat Get Thin
- Fat Loss Factor
- The Truth about Abs
- Rebooted Body
- The 4 Week Diet
- The 3 Week Diet
- The 2 Week Diet
- YogaBurn (especially for the ladies)
In addition, we like to consult Authority Nutrition (now with HealthLine) for excellent reviews of the scientific literature on diet and health.
Exercise, whether HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) or your own individualized yoga sequence, is a useful complement to eating real food and adopting a low-carb diet, while consuming enough protein to protect and further develop your lean body mass (muscles).
Avoiding Chronic Diseases
Modern factory farms, the food industry, pharmacology and medicine are locked in an ever-expanding vicious cycle, harmful both to the environment and to health.
Today, 72 percent of early deaths are from chronic diseases that are connected to dietary choices which lead to cardiovascular events, obesity, Type-2 diabetes and cancer.
Life expectancy does seem to be increasing, but many people are living these extra years in pure misery. Are people living longer or suffering longer?
So what’s the widely ignored elephant in the room? In the U.S., and now all over the world, people have been faithfully following the advice of health and nutrition professionals, leading medical associations, and governments for the past 50 years, and yet are fatter and sicker than ever before.
What’s the main point of all those recommendations? That “eating fat makes you fat” and causes heart disease. This is false, as Dr. Hyman has convincingly shown.
Compared to this "elephant in the room," whether we should adopt entirely plant-based or mostly plant-based diets is a relatively minor issue, and conclusive research on the question remains to be done. The important thing is to avoid vegetable oils, margarine, processed foods and produce from factory farms.
Please Join the Community of Practice
When you sign up (with no commitment whatsoever), you'll have an opportunity to receive a free ebook, access many top notch documents in the real food DropBox, participate in a fascinating exchange of views at www.realfood4healthandweightloss.com/real-food-blog, and regularly receive the real food newsletter.
Watch some beautiful videos
On nutrition and health, happiness and weight loss, and yoga to burn body fat
how to be less heavy, healthier and happier
Let me introduce you to my mother, Margaret Walker (featured in the YouTube video below), who at 99 years of age is not heavy, and is probably healthier and happier than most of us!
In this video, we'll see the statistical correlations between heaviness and happiness, and how health is an important "intervening variable" for men, but not so much for women; and a practical example from the small farm near Brasilia where Mom and I live.
(Click the arrow to watch this YouTube video).
ThE SCIENCE OF WELLNESS RESTORES YOUR HEALTH: AN INTERVIEW WITH dR. HOWARD FISHER (RIGHT)
Of the many facts presented, among the most shocking are these:
- In 1950, when overweight was defined as a body mass index (BMI) of over 25, 25% of Americans were overweight.
- In 2015, 75% of Americans were overweight (including 41% obese); the criterion BMI had been raised to >32, so the real rise was actually much higher!
- Diabetes prevalence went from 20 per 100,000 in 1930 to 7000 per 100,000 in 2010.
- Globally, poor nutrition (including GMOs) has been linked to chronic disease, immune system dysfunction and premature aging.
The solution: eat real food (and, for Dr. Fisher, be a vegand like him!).
yoga to complement your healthy diet
Mom missed out on yoga, but today people (especially, but not exclusively, women - men are welcome too!) can get in really good shape and help keep the pounds off through a self-paced yoga program using video. Here's just one of the many videos subscribers to YogaBurn receive; this one is called Dancer Balance Pose. (By the way, the ocean view is gorgeous!).
It's not just about losing weight
Here are some of the diseases related to poor diet choices, overweight and obesity, and the consequences for our lives.